Gateway STEM Academy
The Gateway STEM Academy is a small community of learners located at Summer Creek Middle School. The highly-innovative program, working in partnership with the University of Texas at Dallas, concentrates its instructional environment around a variety of engaging experiences in the STEM disciplines (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics).
Students enrolled in the STEM Academy take their four core classes (English, History, Science and Math) in a setting that encourages project-based learning and incorporates 21st century technology skills. Students are allowed to choose their electives from fine arts (band, choir and theater), physical education (athletics and health), technology and business. All 8th grade STEM students are also enrolled in the Gateway to Technology class, which is the prerequisite for all high school pathways that involve engineering and computer science.
The benefits of the STEM Academy include:
- Personalized learning environment
- Culture of high expectations
- Innovative curriculum with rigorous, real-world, hands-on projects
- 1:1 laptop use
- 20:1 teacher to student ratio
- Opportunity to participate in various STEM competitions such as Future City and Exploravison
- Development in college and career readiness skills
- Have fun learning while engaging in instruction in order to
- Meet a need
- Solve a problem
- Create a new or better product